You may be surprised at what you find. Here are 10 reasons why I think everyone should do this challenge.
1. If you are honest about your problems, people will know how to help you.
Alternative – Lying diverts helpful energy from others to the wrong place.
2. Honesty is a strength. When utilized properly, it can be a powerful growth agent.
Alternative. When you lie, it is because you are afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Staying comfortable = no growth.
3. Honest people are trusted and respected. People will confide in you.
Alternative. If people know you lie, even if it’s one time, they will view you differently. Your input will not be valued.
4. Practicing honesty allows you to be comfortable in your own skin, when you make mistakes.
Alternative. Lying about yourself is an indicator of low self-esteem.
5. You won’t ever have to remember a lie.
Alternative. Lying can get very complex, especially when it continues.
6. Being honest let’s other in, by exposing our similarities.
Alternative. We will stay lonely, if we lie to gain acceptance into a crowd full of people unlike ourselves.
7. Honesty allows you to influence others.
Alternative. When you aren’t trusted due to dishonest behavior, you cannot influence in a positive way. Conversely, if you influence others to be dishonest, what kind of legacy are you building?
8. Being honest with others can be a great motivator, when done with love.
Alternative. Telling someone a lie to save their feelings, may destroy that person.
9. Honesty saves time and energy in the long run.
Alternative. Who has time to keep track of lies?
10. Honesty can liberate you. It leads to true joy, letting you be you.
Alternative. Lying builds up walls around you. Behind that wall you will eventually die, alone.
People lie because of fear or a lack of accountability. When you decide to be honest in every situation, your choices will improve because you hold yourself accountable. Then, see what God does in your life.
Try being totally honest for a week and let me know how it goes.